The Wilton British Legion Band, as it was then titled, was founded in 1929 and originally formed as a Military Band featuring woodwind instruments.
Their very first engagement involved playing for an hour on the lawns of Knoyle House at East Knoyle, for the British Legion. The minutes written for this engagement note that “the band had a pleasant ride down in a bus driven by bandsman C. Hardy”.
The Hardy family name features frequently throughout the Band’s history. Not only did Mr Hardy progress to become the Honorary Treasurer and subsequently the Honorary Chairman, but his son Robert acted as Bandmaster for a period of over forty years.